Tuesday 2 February 2016

The reality of blogging with M.E.

I love my blog, but you might have noticed that I haven't been updating it very frequently recently. It is not because I have run out of things to say, or lost interest! It is because my most severe symptom of M.E. is brainfog. I find it very difficult to read and write, processing words and conveying ideas can be extremely difficult for me.

I am continually starting drafts for posts or thinking through ideas that I would like to share in my head. But getting them written out in an orderly fashion is almost impossible sometimes. There is a lot that I would like to say, and as a chronic illness blogger the irony is not lost on me that I am often too unwell to keep up with my blog! It can be incredibly frustrating having things to say but not being able to express them.

Blogging is a form of therapy for me, it helps me work through my issues, and has proved to be more beneficial than I had ever imagined it would be. Without blogging I find a growing sense of discontent and tension, I need to wok through my thoughts, and I need to be heard.


This problem affects me in my personal life as well. I am isolated by my illness and only able to see friends a few times a year. We make up for this by staying in touch via social media, text and occasionally Skype or phone calls when I am well enough. I find it very difficult to compose messages and exhausting to complete them so that they don't have any errors. My goal is to reply to each message I receive within a month, but unfortunately that is not always possible. To give you an idea of how infrequent my communications are I often prioritise blogging over replying to individual friends as this way I know that I can reach many people at once! Most of my close friends read my blog, it is a great way of making sure that everyone is on the same page, but obviously not ideal!

The subject of brainfog has been on my mind for many months now. I have never considered it to be something substantial enough to write a blog post on; however it affects me every day and is a massive part of my life. Brainfog is a very hard thing to conceptualise, it is difficult to talk about and difficult to describe.

Do you have any experience of brainfog? If so how do you cope with it?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love hearing what my readers think and always try to reply to comments. If you have a blog, please link it with your comment and I will have look.