Thursday 12 May 2016

The Power of Stigma, A Campaign by Change for M.E.

This week I saw a really powerful campaign talking about the emotional affect that stigma can have on ME patents. It is honestly one of the best ME campaigns I have ever seen, which is why I have decided to share it with you with permission of course!

Living with the physical affects of this illness is hard enough, but no one can understand the emotional toll of having a condition which is constantly denied and dismissed by the general public, including medical professionals.

On their blog Change for ME have shared a collection of photos which aim to reveal the hurt which is felt by patients who are shamed and blamed for years of illness. Hurtful words stick to us and we carry our memories of them around with us, just like the illness they cannot be seen!

The creator of the campaign LA Cooper has had all of these things personally said about her. For me about 95% of these things have been said to my face, but I have heard all of them said about ME! Stigma hurts. While there is currently no treatment for this life long condition, one thing that can be done to help is that people have an open mind towards the illness, and believe us.
If this campaign has resonated with you please share it, more pictures can be found on the Change for ME website. You can also find Change for ME on Facebook and Twitter.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love hearing what my readers think and always try to reply to comments. If you have a blog, please link it with your comment and I will have look.