Saturday 12 July 2014

Where have I been?

So in late May I had the last exams of my first year at university. I often find that I am unwell during the exam period. For years I managed to convince myself that I was exam phobic. But recently it hit me, it really hit me! Now I am able to give myself a break! Exams are at the end of term, or after a short short break and at the start of a new term. This is when I am at my worst and least able to function. I have released that I am bound to be ill at this time. There is nothing more tiring to me than stress as I suffer much more cognitively than I do physically. A pre-illness coping mechanism for this would have been to get out and about, but this is very difficult when short on energy, often impossible.

Anyway as I'm sure you can guess by now, I was unwell for yet another exam season. I have spent most of June recovering, resting and working on summer uni work. My exams went like this: The first was fine, and despite being under the weather I manned to get a good grade. However I had underestimated how tiring this would be for me, and just a few hours out of the flat left me in bed for days.  I was not able to revise for my second exam and scraped a pass!  I missed the last exam as I was so unwell. We have a re-sit period in August and I will be sitting my third exam (cells) then.  I was very prepared for cells, so it shouldn't be to difficult for me to revise it again!

I will also be sitting two more exams in August, both for microbiology.  During my second term I was't able to keep up with all of the work and lab sessions, so decided to drop a module. I chose to drop microbiology because all the lectures were recorded and it was easy to drop from a coursework point of view. I have worked my way through half of the lectures, and it is going well. I will be taking both the midterm and the end of term exams in the same week.

Since coming home I have started a few craft projects.  Originally I set up the "Jenny Helen Makes..." blog to write about the crafts I make and to provide a space where I don't have to focus on my M.E.  But I have realised that this is too much to keep up with and doesn't really make any sense anyway. After all my spoonie life involves everything I do including the hobbies I have to suit my health.  I have decided to delete "Jenny Helen Makes..." and my first (and only post)!

My microbiology notes

6 comments :

  1. Hi Jenny Helen! I've been reading your blog for a little while but have just found the energy to say hello properly. I'm studying at university too (and I also have M.E.), so can understand a little how difficult it is to juggle the two. Well done on passing two of the exams! And good luck for the third one - I'm sure you'll do brilliantly. I had to sit all of my exams in the August re-sit period last year (thanks to a badly timed seizure and subsequent ambulance - oops!) and while it was annoying having to revise over the holidays, it was much easier on me to sit the exams without the stress of exam season. Stress is not our best friend, it would seem!
    I hope that you are enjoying the summer and are feeling as well as possible :) I look forward to reading more from you soon!
    Love, Katharine
    xxx

    www.katharineandME.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine, I've been reading your blog too! :) I agree, it is a bit of a pain, but so much easier from a health point of view! Sorry you had such a tough time last year! Thanks for commenting! :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I love crafts, they are a great way to stay entertained and ai like that you can do a lot of things from the bed or the sofa!
    Good luck with your exams. Lotsa love!

    Hayley-Eszti - www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hopefully I will get around to posting some at some point! :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck for the other exams you have over the summer, I've just managed to finish my finally year so I know just how tough exam period can be for us spoonies! Much love,

    Alice x
    slowlymendingme.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice, glad you've got through yours ok. I'v been following your blog, it must be so nice to be through uni! :) x

      Delete

Please leave a comment! I love hearing what my readers think and always try to reply to comments. If you have a blog, please link it with your comment and I will have look.